The Hunter/Gather of Surburbia

Are we where we live?

March 14, 2011

Scary stuff

The earthquake and tsunami in Japan and now a nuclear scare. The news says the financial index in Japan is down, which pragmatically makes sense to me. I sort of wonder why they think that is news. Why wouldn't Japanese stocks be down? Oh and maybe you should buy stock in iodine with all the people freaking out here in Oregon and buying out the iodine stuff available.
I guess I worry about the radiation, but not so much I am going to change my routine or run down to Walgreens and put my name on a list to get the iodine or iodide or whatever it is. I am guessing some unscrupulous entreprenuers will  start selling it on street corners for 100 times the price. You laugh, but just watch in a week or so your email inbox is going to filled with ways to prevent radiation sickness. Just watch.
Got my very first ever unemployment check. The people at the jobs office seemed amazed, why would anyone be amazed that I've had a job, been a mom, or been school and I have never been on unemployment before? It's weird. And it is very degrading, in my opinion. I am glad for the money, pittance though it is, but it doesn't make feel good. Especially when I can't seem to find a job. I got a call from a job I applied for about four months ago, with HOST, but the job is on call graveyard shift and wandering around Salem at night alone, is not something I feel I can do. Sure I applied for it four months ago, but that was when I had an actual paycheck. The position is on call and if I get called unemployment deducts what I get paid from the amount I get every week.
I'm not sure how I am going to pay my bills. Monthly it is about 30% of what my paycheck has been. Not sure how I'm going to pay bills. The bills, other than the utilities, were made when I made 70% more money. I just don't know what I am going to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment