The Hunter/Gather of Surburbia

Are we where we live?

May 8, 2011

Googling yourself

So, I bet you really haven't tried to Google Earth yourself. No I mean really, looking back into your life and seeing yourself. I just submitted my first attempt at Google Earth of myself to the Story Circle Network. I am thinking of doing an ongoing Google of myself and my life as a way to put down my life into words.
The following is what I first wrote, I had to edit for Story Circle, but my original writing is here for you to look at.

If I were to Google Earth myself what would I see?
Would I see myself sitting here at my computer?
Would I see my house surrounded by fields and a small patch of forest?
Would I see Salem, Oregon bisected by I5 sitting along the Willamette River?
Would I see Washington state to the north, Idaho to the East, California to the South and the Pacific to the West?
What would I see?
If I were to Google Earth my family what would I see?
Would I see the birth of my parents one born in Bottineau, North Dakota the other in Leland, Oregon?
Would I see them meet and then marry in Seattle, Washington?
Would I see them move west from Missouri to Oregon by car just after the end of WW II?
Would I see their first home on Dearborn Ave in Keizer?
Would I see them journey to Portland, Oregon to St Vincent's Hospital to adopt me?
What would I see?
If I were to Google Earth my family what would I see?
Would I see my children grow up and drift away and then drift back?
What would I see?
If I were to Google Earth my family what would I see?
Would I see my first grandson being born with a cleft palate, before I knew he was my grandson?
Would I see my second grandson being born looking so much like his mother and nothing like his father, my son?
Would I see my two grandsons walking down the lane with my father between them, finally accepting them?
Would I see my daughter on the phone to me saying, "Mom I have something to tell you," and me knowing right away she was pregnant with grandchild number three, the first girl?
Would I see my second granddaughter being born, like her older sister, by c-section, like her mother and her uncle?
What would I see?
If I were to Google Earth myself, what would I see?
By Lisa Chretien, April 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment